Phase One: Celebrity Takedown is a compilation DVD by Gorillaz, released in November 2002 (see 2002 in music). The DVD compiles the videos and animatics related to the release of the band's first album, Gorillaz, as well as the related singles. The DVD came with an extra CD-ROM containing desktop wallpapers, screensavers and other such special features.
Limited edition copies came packaged in a hard box with a map of Kong Studios, exclusive sticker sheet and a 52-page reprint of the original promotional booklet released in limited quantities three years prior.
The DVD itself follows a small storyline. You are a police investigator sent to check out Kong Studios due to strange goings on. The studios look in a reasonably good state, which would change dramatically for Phase Two. If you wait in a room for too long, you will get attacked and die. The DVD predominantly follows a cartoon style, although some elements have 3D aspects to them.
*"Intro Music" (edit) – 1:20
*Videos, storyboards and animatics for:
**"Tomorrow Comes Today"
**"Rock the House"
*Multi-angle Live at the Brits performance, including exclusive Mandarin version
**"Clint Eastwood" (Live at the Brits) – 4:12
**"Clint Eastwood" (Live at the Golden Music Awards) – 4:12
*5 Gorilla Bites
*Live Show visuals ("M1 A1", "Tomorrow Comes Today", "Sound Check (Gravity)", "Dracula", "Punk", "5/4")
*Interview with 2D
*Dr. Wurzel's Winnebago
*"The Charts of Darkness" documentary
* Li'l Dub Chefin' By the Spacemonkeys. This was a remix of M1 A1. If you visit all rooms then go into the backend, you can watch the video to this remix single. There would also be full credits revealing voice actors, animators, etc.
* Jump the Gut – Noodle and Del are betting to see if 2D will jump over Russell's 'gut'. 2D is on a tricycle, speeding up with his hands firmly on the brakes, while Russell is on the ground asleep, scratching his crotch. 2D peddles up a wooden ramp, but fails to jump over Russel's stomach and wakes him up, sending Del back into Russel's head and 2D soaring through the air. Russell stands up with money in his ear (which was Del's betting money) while Noodle is grabbing the money that Del dropped. Russel picks 2D up, and explains that if 2D keeps doing this, Russel is going to do that to him, and judges that neither of them "are going to make it."
* Hey! Our Toys Have Arrived – The band is sitting on the couch,bored, staring at their model toys. 2D says that they are useless, saying that his head doesn't wobble like the toy. Russel grabs hold of 2D's neck and shakes it, revealing that it does. Noodle is amazed, while Murdoc encourages him to do it again.
* The Game of Death – Russel and Noodle spar in a short sequence serving as an obvious homage to the movie Game of Death, with Noodle wearing Bruce Lee's distinctive yellow jumpsuit. When Noodle quickly wins, it is revealed that 2D and Murdoc are using them as video game characters, and Murdoc complains that the Russel character "can't do nothing" and that his controller is broken.
* Free Tibet Campaign – In this bit, 2D is sitting in meditation with other Tibetans outside the Chinese embassy in London, in protest at the treatment of Tibetans. At the end of the bite, a message is shown, which states "Free Tibet Campaign stands for the Tibetans' right to determine their own future. It campaigns for an end to the Chinese occupation of Tibet, and for the Tibetans' fundamental rights to be respected."
* The Eel – Murdoc awakens from his sleep, dressed only in his underwear, only to find 2D with a mallet and an eel, trying to knock it out. Murdoc tells him to stop, but 2D explains that Russel wanted him to knock it out so he can cook it. When Murdoc yells at him again to stop the banging, 2D announces that he can't catch it, because it's so slippery, and can't think of any other way to knock it out. Murdoc then grabs hold of the eel, and takes it to the oven where he wants to 'melt its face.' 2D is worried that he'll mess up and get burned, and begins to bite his nails. Russel then walks in, asking where his eel is. Murdoc says that it feels 'eel (ill)', and holds up the dead eel.
* Fancy Dress – The Gorillaz are taking a Halloween photo. Murdoc focuses the camera on them, and runs back to pose. Russel thinks Murdoc shouldn't go dressing up as a Nazi, because he has an appreciation for clothes.
The DVD was released in various countries in November 2002.This text has been derived from Phase One: Celebrity Take Down on Wikipedia and is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License 3.0